Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 8, June 8th

Blessings everyone,

7 days into the challenge and 23 days to go, what a blessing it has been so far. Maggie thanks again for coming up with the idea and starting this blog.

Tonight in church Pastor Bill was preaching from the Book of Revelation. I was reminded of my favorite chapter in the book (chapter 5). As you read through this chapter reflect on the worthiness of our Lord.

In Him,

Jimmy

Rev 5:1-14 I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals. (2) And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?" (3) And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look into it. (4) Then I began to weep greatly because no one was found worthy to open the book or to look into it; (5) and one of the elders said to me, "Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals." (6) And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. (7) And He came and took the book out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. (8) When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. (9) And they *sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. (10) "You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth." (11) Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands, (12) saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." (13) And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever." (14) And the four living creatures kept saying, "Amen." And the elders fell down and worshiped.

5 comments:

  1. I spoke with Peter today. He is a client of mine and I had not spoken with him since last summer. Interesting fellow. I really enjoyed teaching him last year. He was an addict and had several near death experiences. He has been clean for a long time now. When I taught him in the past we had some amazing disussions about life, death, the spiritual realm, etc. He even gave me a book on some different ideas. He says there are many paths to God and will talk about Jesus very openly and freely. He told me today he is going to Unity church. So, I told him if that church does not teach the true gospel, that Jesus came to live a perfect life, died for the sins of those who would believe, was buried and rose again on the third day, then I would not give it the time of day. I told him that I hoped they did teach that there. That the true gospel message is the only thing worthwhile, the only thing that matters, and if a church does not get that right, I would be out of there. I told him we must repent of our sin and put our faith in Jesus Christ for any hope in this life, esp. for eternal life. He is a cool guy. I had shared the gospel with him in the past and he continues to put up with me (he does have a new golf teacher though now, guess I couldn't get him to hit it 300 yards like he wants).
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone,

    Maggie - great post.

    Carrie and I are making the rounds around our neighborhood meeting all the folks who recently moved into their homes. We met a lady who moved in close to us and invited her to church. She and her husband have been visiting Presbyterian Churches in Tulsa. I explained that I listen to Michael Horton all the time, he’s a Presbyterian by the way, and that I love his emphasis on preaching the Gospel. This proved to be an easy way to transition to an explanation of the Gospel and our need to repent of our sins and believe and trust that truth. We spent about 30 minutes in conversation, overall a great visit.

    Blessings,

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke with a girl at QT who was working the register. I asked her if she considered herself to be a follower of Jesus. She said yes and went on to explain with enthusiasm how her parents were faithful to have her in church as a child and that she was saved early in life at VBS. We fellowshiped in between customers coming to the counter, and I was able to share the core of the gospel message with her as we enjoyed meeting a fellow siling in Christ.
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh,
    So great to read your post. I know from talking to you that you have been sharing the gospel for these last 8 days in a row, you just have not had time to post. I am glad to hear how you did this at QT. Many times I am in these convenient stores and I want to share Christ and don't because I do not want to hold anyone up and have someone throw their fountain drink at me. Neat to hear how you just hung around there and spoke with her in between her other customers. Great idea. Jimmy, I would love to hear more about how you and C are engaging these new neighbors. Do you just go and knock on their door? See them outside? Do you bring them something? This is something I have wanted to do for a while but greeting neighbors seems so scary to me. I don't know why. I see them every day. Sometimes those people are the toughest. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks for these posts. Good stuff.
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm finally back after a brief hiatus. Having to lay low due to illness, but have had the opportunity to share the gospel with two different phone solicitor. One called me looking for my oldest daughter (a whole different discussion for another time and forum) and I had the opportunity to tell her how far away from God my daughter is in her present condition. I then engaged the caller concerning her relationship with God and inquired into her assessment of her spiritual condition. Pointing out that my daughter had turned her back on the the good news of a crucified and risen Savior, I asked the caller where she placed her hope. She said she "believed in God" and then bid me adieu.

    The other caller was wanting to sell me something, and so I told her that I had some questions for her before I would agree to take time to listen to her. I went through the gospel with her and she was virtually clueless. She told me that I had given her something to think about and thanked me. I listened to her pitch and told her she had given me something to think about and I thanked her.

    I am looking forward to feeling better and getting back to the streets.

    ReplyDelete