Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 17, June 17th

Let the one who desires take the water of life without price.
(Spurgeon Devotional)


Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

The invitation is to "take . . . without price." Jesus wants no payment or preparation. He seeks no recommendation from our virtuous emotions. If you have no good feelings, but if you are willing, you are invited; therefore come! If you have no belief and no repentance, come to Him, and He will give them to you. Come just as you are, and take without money and without price. He gives Himself to the needy.
In nineteenth-century Britain the drinking fountains at the corners of the streets were valuable institutions; it would have been a strange and foolish sight to see someone standing at the fountain declaring, "I cannot drink because I do not have any money." However poor an individual may be, there is the fountain, and just as he is, he may drink of it without cost. Thirsty passengers, as they go by, whether they are dressed poorly or expensively, do not look for any authorization to drink; the existence of the fountain is sufficient warrant for taking its water freely. The generosity of some good friends has put in place the refreshing supply, and we take it and ask no questions.
Perhaps the only people who go thirsty through the street where there is a drinking fountain are the fine ladies and gentlemen who are in their carriages. They are very thirsty but cannot think of being so vulgar as to get out to drink. It would demean them, they think, to drink at a common drinking fountain: so they ride by with parched lips.
How many there are who are rich in their own good works and cannot therefore come to Christ! "I will not be saved," they say, "in the same way as the prostitute or the blasphemer." What! Go to heaven in the same way as a chimney sweep? Is there no pathway to glory but the path that led the dying thief there? I will not be saved that way. Such proud boasters must remain without the living water; but "Let the one who desires take the water of life without price."

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys,
    I took my youngest son, Johnmark, in for a much needed hair cut this morning. We went to a south Tulsa kids salon. I noticed upon entry, dozens of scripture verses all over the walls. I got really excited. The man who cut his hair was Will. He started to cut JM's hair and I told him how much I liked his wall decorations. He thanked me. I asked him what he understood the gospel to be. He said there could be many answers to that but there is only one true one- believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved and that He rose again three days later. I told him I agreed with him. I actually said "amen". He went on to tell me that he was an addict for 12 years, tried everything to quit, and only the Holy Spirit enabled him to quite when God saved him 3 years ago. He goes to Church on the Move. He also said that he tells his brothers all of the time that this life, in Christ, should be a life full of blessings. He had some quotes on the wall also by Mr. Joel O. He went on to talk about strong faith and more blessings. I thought about talking to him about Job in the bible but didn't. I could tell this man had saving faith and we had a great discussion on the gospel and I went thru all of the points of the gospel and repentance with him. It was a wonderful encounter and I will go back for JM's next hair cut, Lord willing. Maybe next time I will tell him that my life isn't really full of blessings even though my faith is strong, that I am many times persecuted for my faith, I am not rich, and I struggle with remaining sin daily. Lord willing I will have a next time with Will. And oh yes, JM got a super hair cut.
    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie and I had a great visit with our new neighbors down the street. We spent about an hour at their house talking about various things. I invited them to church and shared the Gospel with them. We look forward to building a relationship with them this summer. Great visit!

    ReplyDelete