Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 21, June 21st

1Co 9:16-27 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. (17) For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. (18) What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. (19) For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. (20) To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; (21) to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. (22) To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. (23) I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. (24) Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. (25) Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. (26) Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; (27) but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

2 comments:

  1. After a wonderful morning in our Lord's house, I was really ready to engage someone with the gospel. We were driving home and my daughter needed to use the restroom. I asked her if she could wait but she couldn't. As the Lord providentially arranged it, we encountered Bambi while waiting for the bathroom. She was talking to her little girl who looked to be about my son's age age. I asked her how old she was and she said "2". I told her what a big girl she was to be able to use the big girl's potty. Then the mom (Bambi) and I started to talk about potty training, etc. I told her that we were working on it with our 3 year old. I told her he was not interested. Then I told her that she seemed very nice and I asked her what she thought it took for a person to get to heaven. She said "Do good things, and if you do those, I hope you can get to heaven." I then asked her what she thought about the bible saying it is Christ's work, not ours, that gets you in. That I know for sure, am not hoping, that I will go to Heaven one day because of the cross and the finished work of Christ on my behalf. That it is all about His life, death and resurrection. She said she does believe that. I asked her what she thought of the resurrection. She said she believed it did happen. Then I asked her where she attended church. She said with a smile "I am Mormon". I said "Do you regularly attend the Mormon church then?" She said no and they do not go anywhere. In fact they live in Utah and they were on their way back to Utah when we spoke. She started to laugh and said her husband is a Baptist. He then walked over by us. We had a great conversation about Mormons and what they believe vs. what Baptists believe. She said she does not really believe what the Mormon's teach. I told her that I was very glad for that. I went thru the gospel again with her before we left. It was a good encounter and I told her I will pray that she and her family will find a good gospel focused church in Utah when they get back.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Lord's Day! Wonderful preaching, singing and fellowship.

    I grabbed one of the Bethel Welcome Bags and delivered it to one of the new residents of Owasso. I had a great conversation with the young lady who answered the door. I told her Bethel's primary focus was the proclamation of the Gospel and that if she attended I hoped she would find us faithful with His word, welcoming and loving. She isn't looking for a church nor has she ever regularly attended church. I could identify with not growing up in church so I went through the Gospel with her and explained why Christianity was true and that the evidence for the resurrection was overwhelming. She seemed very interested in my argument for the Gospel and the resurrection. Prayerfully we’ll see her in church.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete