Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Two questions to ask...

One of my dear friends (Josh A.) posed a stirring question to a group of teenage boys. He had just spent 20-30 minutes sharing the Gospel with them. The boys were in a hurry to run off to a movie and as they were leaving Josh asked them a very simple but profound question. He stated it something like this: "More than likely I will never see you boys again so I want you to know that I have a genuine passion and compassion for you to know Jesus Christ. So, based on what I've told you tonight what is it that you find so unattractive about Jesus?" One of the young men replied "nothing". WOW! What a great question, I think that question will have an impact on these young men.

This next encounter occurred a few years ago. I was sharing the Gospel with a co-worker who became very angry and starting cursing (not at me-well, not entirely at me); he was taking God's name in vain and using a variety curse words. I informed him that it was not my desire to anger or offend him and that I was simply offering him the mercy that God affords us in His Son. I then informed him that I will pray that God opens his heart to what I've shared with him. Then I warned him that there will come a day when he draws his last breath and will stand before this God he so freely cursed and have to give an account for every thought, word and deed. That he would remember this conversation for all of eternity and would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God had offered him mercy. But now -- it's to late. He turned white as a ghost and walked away.

3 comments:

  1. Great Question, Josh. That is one I will definitely use in the future. Thanks for writing, Jimmy. I love reading this blog. As the Lord has me staying home on Monday nights, this blog is really a blessing to me. More than you know. This blog encourages me to share the Gospel wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a neat encounter this morning with the vacuum repair man. He came to our house. We discussed football, kids, schools, etc. I decided to bring up Sam Bradford since he said he was a crazy OU fan. I said that I had heard he was a neat Christian kid. The repair man agreed. Then James whispered in my ear "share the gospel". I asked him if he was a follower of Jesus Christ and he said definitely yes. We had so much fun talking then for about 30 minutes about the gospel. He got our vacuum all set and he even told me he believed in predestination. He was so funny, he said he goes to an Armenian church but that he was a Calvinist. It was so much fun talking to this man and I thank God for kids who challenge me and spur me on to bring up spiritual things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey everyone! I hope we will continue posting now even though training is over.
    I got my hair cut the other day at SuperCuts. Well, JohnMark finally got his mane trimmed and then it was my turn. I had a wonderful conversation with the girl who cut our hair. She is pregnant with twins so of course I asked her all about that, etc. I even mentioned to her this bible story of Jacob and Esau and Jacob came out after Esau with his hand around Esau's foot, that they struggled even in the womb with each other! She was amazed! She mentioned God a few times while we spoke so then after a while, she was then cutting my hair, I asked her about her comments on God, "you mentioed God a few times, where do you attend church?" she said she didn't go anywhere but grew up in a strict Lutheran home, was always forced to go. she said she hated it. she said she wants her kids to be able to make their own choices about religion. she said her mom (the "religious one" as she called her) would probably take them while they are little but that she really wanted them to decide on their own cuz she never got to. I listened carefully to her and then told her about Bill and me and the desire of our hearts being for our kids to see us truly loving to go to church. i told her that we wanted our kids to see our passion and desire to go to church, that we "get to go" not a "have to go". she really listened. then I went over why I love going to church so much. i told her that God saved me about 10 years ago and that i cannot wait to go and thank this wonderful savior who lived a perfect life, died on the cross for MY sins, Rose again, etc. I told her I can't wait to go worship this savior who did all of these things, to sing to Him, praise Him, learn more about Him, give my money to the church that promotes Him, etc. she really listened to me and it was one of the best encounters I have ever had. we had a wonderful dialogue. I asked her also how she would describe a "religous person" and what is the number problem she has with the "church" today. we both listened to each other intently. I will go back for more hair cuts and am inviting her to Mercy Hill. Oh yeah baby.

    ReplyDelete