Friday, October 2, 2009

ET Session 4 - "What Is Evangelism?"

Very simply it is the proclamation of the Gospel.

What is Evangel?
G2098 (Evangel) – Jesus is “the Evangel”
εὐαγγέλιον
euaggelion
yoo-ang-ghel'-ee-on
From the same as G2097; a good message, that is, the gospel: - gospel.

What is Evangelism?
G2097 (Evangelism)-telling others about “the Evangel”
εὐαγγελίζω
euaggelizō
yoo-ang-ghel-id'-zo
From G2095 and G32; to announce good news (“evangelize”) especially the gospel: - declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).

The Promise of the Gospel:

Gen 3:8-15 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. (9) But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, "Where are you?" (10) And he said, "I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself." (11) He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?" (12) The man said, "The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate." (13) Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this that you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." (14) The LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and above all beasts of the field; on your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. (15) I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."

--The promise of the Evangel – Protoevangelion of Gen3:15


What is Evangelism?

1.The telling of the Good News.
2.Jesus is the focus.
3.His person and work are the news.

What is the context for the good news?

Context [The Context for the Gospel (Good News) is the Bad News.]

Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
1Jn 3:4 everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness
Rom 3:10-12 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; (11) THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; (12) ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE.”


Rom 6:23a For the wages of sin is death

Rev 20:11-15 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. (12) And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. (13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. (14) Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. (15) And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Christ [The Gospel]

1Co 15:1-4 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, (2) and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. (3) For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, (4) that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,

In accordance with the Scriptures Jesus is both law keeper (righteousness) and sin bearer (sacrifice).

Rom 3:21-26 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it-- (22) the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (24) and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, (25) whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. (26) It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Never ever forget to give them the reason why they can trust that Christ is their only hope for righteousness. The RESURRECTION!

Command [Repent and Believe]

Mar 1:14-15 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, (15) and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

Repent-
Act 17:30-31 "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, (31) because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

Believe-
Rom 10:8-13 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (9) that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; (10) for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

4 comments:

  1. Hello fellow laborers!
    I had a neat opportunity yesterday to share the gospel. We went to eat lunch with Bill at the HS, as we do almost everyday. There is this one young man there, he always smiles at my boys, watches them as we sit and eat, play, he has always been different than the other HS kids who seem to be in their own little world. So, yesterday I decided to tell him. I told him he was always so nice, so friendly to my boys when noone else seems to even notice them here in the cafeteria. He told me that he has a little brother, about JohnMark's age, but he doesn't get to see him often cuz he lives in NorthCarolina. So when he sees my boys, he thinks of his little bro and how much he misses him. We had a great time visiting and I asked what then do his parents to for a living. He said his mom worked at a local church, so I asked him if he went to that church. Then we had the neatest talk about the gospel and he gave me a terrific answer on how to have eternal life. He said it is very basic, really very simple, you must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to have eternal life. We then talked about Acts 16:31 and Acts ch. 2 on the resurrection. It was wonderful and he told me he was studying Revelation right now. Oh yeah, before the conversation turned to spiritual, there was little JohnMark on my lap whispering in my ear, "mommy, tell gospel, tell gospel" you gotta love that! Great encounter and I look forward to fellowshiping with this young man the rest of the school year! He is even in a Christian band! I am going to talk to him about Mercy Hill!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there everyone,
    We were invited to two different birthday parties yesterday. I had some very interesting conversations at both of them. At the first one I met another parent, J, he was throwing the football around with my son for about 45 minutes. Neat guy. We started talking about churches, etc. He attends church on the move. The guy was a blast to talk to. He was so on fire for Jesus Christ, he told me several times "it is all about Jesus". I asked him if he would present the gospel to me as if I were a stranger on the street (this was after we had visited for a long time, got to know him). His eyes lit up and was so excited! He went through his presentation, it went like this: "Do you have a few minutes? I would like to tell you something, you know Jesus loves you? He does and He wants to have a relationship with you......(there was more), but then he said you know He will give you eternal life and if you do not know him you will go to hell. And, you do not go to hell for lying, stealing, murder, but for NOT living sold out 100% for Jesus Christ- this will take you to hell." I listened to him carefully, so did my husband, Bill. Then I went through how I give the gospel to someone, I spoke to him about the perfect work of Christ, His life, death, burial and resurrection. I told him how important the resurrection is in all of it. That I talk to people about judgment and a perfectly holy and righteous God. How I talk about people's sin, and their absolute need for forgiveness and righteousness in all of it. He was such a great guy, he listened closely, we had a wonderful conversation for the remainder of the party. We even discussed the Way of the Master and I invited him to come to evangelism training. Great fun talking with this guy.

    Our next party was last night, I saw a long time friend there, T, I haveknown him 7-8 years. At the end of the party we were talking with T, me and my daughter Jenni. She was tugging on my shirt to give him the gospel so we asked him what he thought it took for a person to go to heaven. He smiled and said you just have to love your brother. Then Jenni told him that was not right, she quoted Acts 16:31 as she always does, "You must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved" He smiled and said, "well, yes, that too." I then went further with him. Neat coversation.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie,

    Thanks for the posts!

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great afternoon of proclaiming the Gospel this past Sunday in South Tulsa neighborhoods and a local Starbucks. Looking forward to ET tonight!

    Blessings,

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete